Saturday, March 3, 2012

One helluva run

Well, first let me start off by saying that Kari and I have grit.  We ran 5 miles in 27 degree weather in Stevens Point and damn, it was fun!  The longest mileage I had logged to date was 3.35 or so, but I made the jump to 5 today and it felt somewhat easy.  Crazy to say that, but I was faster after the split.  That right there is a little bit of victory for this girl.

Anyway, I started off dabbling with the Cellcom training plan in Jan. but didn't get as far as I should have.  Linz, you are kicking running ass right now.  Anyway, Hal Higdon came out with a Novice 2 plan for half marathoners, so I have jumped ship and over to Hal's plan.  I like it...running 4 days a week...it should be good.

Now as for today, I PRed!!!!  I ran at 10:41 pace for the Point Bock Run, but truth be told, I was faster after the split.  At the 3 mile marker my time was 33 something (minus 1:30 because that is what the clock said when Kari and I finally crossed the mat to begin) and then I was at 44 something when I hit 4 miles.  At the last .15 or so I picked up the pace and hit the finish line feeling great.  So, I have a few conclusions as a result:

1)  My new pre-race routine will include Alterra coffee, their ham and cheese croissant, a thermos of Simply Orange orange/pineapple juice and a half of a PB sammy.

2)  Janice's knit purple hat and mittens are my new cold weather running accessories of choice.

3)  I am convinced that the two "Leathal Weapon" shots that I drank last night while waiting for food at Matt and my favorite corner bar sealed the night-before-the-race deal.  I didn't order them - the bartender talked me into the first one because it was her invention and then the 2nd one someone at the bar bought for a few people.  In any case, it was delicious - Rumchata and coffee flavored tequila.  Yum.

4)  Roark is a rock star running partner.  I really think all his pulling and wanting to go faster when we run is why I hit the ground as a faster version of myself today.  He gets a special treat for that!  :)  Too bad doggies weren't allowed in the race.

5)  Kari is a great person to run and then debrief a race with.  Awesome job today, Kari!  Way to execute your plan - we made a huge mileage jump today!  Let's celebrate with steak and shrimp in Milw. soon!

6)  Pete will make you steak if you run a race near their house.  Wow, what a way to cap off the day!  Thanks, Pete and Carla!  And thanks to Dan for the after lunch ice cream treat!

Okay, off to play with the doggie.  I think I still have a runners high!  :)

Thanks to all of you for being such great inspiration.  Harry, I might be able to pull off the 10 minute pace yet for the Cellcom!

Sar

No comments:

Post a Comment